Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 19:26

my good buddy Cal ( a 96lb'er) providing a measure of scale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A perspective on my Rh. Taurus

I love both! Great picture!

o
RE: A perspective on my Rh. Taurus

Taurus is nice. For some reason, though it is said to be practically identical, a Grace Seabrook I have is not quite the same shade of red. Taurus seems a little better; G.s. seems slightly more purplish. Though not nearly as bad as Nova Zembla, Francesca, et al. Still red. I still notice a mystifying effect w/rhodies that I don't see w/other flowers, where their red shades (only) seem slightly "metameric" with respect to distance; close up they can seem to have a more purplish cast that you don't notice if you are 20+ ft. away. I wonder if there could be a near ultraviolet flavonoid that one's eyes can only pick up at a close distance. 'Britton Hill' is the most noticeable. I like the look of the plant when I'm seeing it from a distance, I do not like it close up. However, it has some of the most gorgeous foliage of any rhodie in my garden (I once had ~ 100 varities) so is worth growing for that reason alone. Perhaps more plausibly my pupils are more dilated when viewing it from a distance, and this somehow affects its apparent color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here