Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my azalea dead?

Posted by ljbrandt 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 19:28

Here are a couple pictures of an azalea in front of my house. I hope it isn't dead, but things aren't looking good right now. Branches are dry and brittle and barely a green leaf to be found. My other azaleas on the same side are doing just fine, so I'm not sure what happened here!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my azalea dead?

Not sure if they are dead but they sure do not look good. I assume these are of the evergreen variety? What caused it I have not idea but maybe some others that know a lot more than I can help in that regard. Not sure I would just dig them out though. Try scraping some of the wood to see if you can find green underneath. If you can see green give it some time, it may push out more leaves. I had a native holly tree at my office building drop all of its leaves. I assumed it was dead and was going to pull it out when I found time. Before I got around to pulling it out it started to push new leaves out and is now fine.

o

Thanks for the encouraging words limestoner! I wonder if there's anything I can do to help it get better.

o

Again, others may be able to give you better information but unfortunately I think there is little you can do. It is obviously struggling. If it is not dead already, trying to do something now may push it over the edge. I think the best thing to do is let it be and see if it comes back on its own. Worse case scenario you have to replace them which would be the time to make sure they are properly fertilzed and watered. The ones in the picture look pretty established so it would seem yous hould not have a problem replacing them.

o

The white wall and no mulch made it difficult at best for these plants. The white reflects the winter sun. A mulch would have protected the roots during the winter.

Many azaleas are semi-deciduous and loose their leaves in early spring or mid winter. The fact there are some green leaves mean those branches are definitely alive. Wait for new shoots and see what is alive. After the new shoots come out you can cut away the remaining dead portions. Give it some time. It may be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here