Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me find yellow azalea

Posted by marcia1 4/5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 19:37

I received a wonderful light yellow azalea from sis, about 25 years ago (might have been historical variety.
It had been doing well until I moved this past year. I did have about 20 bloom clusters last spring, but.this spring it looks like I will have one viable branch.
I know that moving a mature bush is chancy..and from sandy loam to amended clay didn't help..but.
Does anyone remember Walnolong Nursery in Morris Plains NJ?. The owners have since retired from business, but do any of you from the area; know of the family or have seen this light yellow bush? It is hardy to my zone 5...would love to get another...will still pamper my one branch.

This post was edited by marcia1 on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 19:50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me find yellow azalea

There are many light yellow deciduous azaleas. You may be able to find the one you're looking for in Kenneth Cox's Color Book of Rhododendrons and Azaleas or in the listings of a large nursery such as Fairweather, Weston or Greer Gardens.

I believe the nursery you're asking about was Watnong Nursery. The owners, Don and Hazel Smith, have been deceased for a number of years now. The former nursery has been expanded into a public garden.

o

Thanks so very much. Will check library and the nurseries:)
Will let my sis know that the nursery is now a public garden.
They often visit friends in the area, am certain that a visit would be on her list!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:30

Looks like a Mollis azalea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here