Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow flower

Posted by diggerb2 z5oh (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 19:38

what is there in a zone 5 azelea/rhodie that has yellow flower. spot i've got is a corner of a large raised bed (10x24 feet) about 2O inches high, its shady, but a korean lilac still blooms there.

also i've got a spot along a fence under an oak-- gets early am sun til 10am and then afternoon sun from 2 pm. it will be in a row with forsythia, kerria and some tea roses. needs to top out at about 4 feet(need to see over/around as its along the driveway) spread simialr but a bit more space

thanks again
diggerb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow flower

A lot depends on what your usual winter lows are. If you regularly go below -10, choices are pretty limited. Some possibilities:
r. keiskii is hardy to -15, evergreen and not over four feet.
r. luteum, -15, deciduous, will grow taller than four feet.
'Goldkrone', a good stong yellow that will not grow over 4', but not bud hardy below -10.
'Canary Islands' rated to -20, pale yellow, slow growing but ultimately more than 4'.
'Towhead', -15, pale yellow to 2'.
'Jericho', -20, pale yellow to maybe 3'
'Jenny Tabol', -20 pale yellow with pink in the throat, not over 4'
'Mary Fleming', -20 at least, not really yellow - more salmon and pink - but very reliable and easily kept below 4'.
I've undoubtably missed some, but these all do well in cold climates. Only Goldkrone is a true vibrant yellow. All look best in shade as strong sunlight bleaches the color.

o
RE: yellow flower

The best hardy yellow azaleas are deciduous azaleas. Some examples are:

"Girard's Yellow Pom Pom", -25F, 6', compact ,

"Golden Lights" fragrant yellow, -40F, 4-5',

"Lemon Lights" lemon yellow, -35, 4-5'

"Sun Chariot", -25F buttercup yellow, 6', upright

"Marion Merriman", -25F, 5', wide growing
"Goldcrest", -25F, 4', compact.
"Weston's Lemon Drop" pale yellow, -35F, 3'

The so-called hardy yellow rhododendrons aren't that hardy and aren't that yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here