Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

please suggest plant with Kurume 'Snow'

katrina1
18 years ago

The Kurume 'Snow' flowers change color

What other azalea will look good with the intense amber, color these white flowers change to before dropping?

Comments (3)

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

that is not really what you would call a color change but rather spent or dying flowers turning brown.
    the color white goes with anything so try to find a combination pleasing to your eye that flowers the same time as 'snow'.
    i found these listed on a website as blooming at the same time so some other of the kurume hybrids to choose from might be:
    'appleblossom' - light pink
    'coral bells' - coral pink
    'hinodegiri' - red
    'christmas cheer'- red
    'flame' - orange red
    'salmon beauty' - salmon pink
    'sherwood red' - orange red
    'hershey's red' - bright red
    'delaware valley white' - white

i grow 'pink pearl' and it is one of my favorites. the individual flowers as well as the full effect of the shrub in bloom are lovely. mine are many years old and have not outgrown their spot. it is an early bloomer here, finishing well ahead of the southern indicas.
    here are a couple of thumbnails of 'pink pearl'

{{gwi:384974}}

{{gwi:384973}}

check out the attached link for some photos of the above suggestions, as well as many other cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: azalea society photos

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

White is good next to pink. A nice balance in a planting might be lots of white, some pink, and a little red.

• katrina1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The pink pearls are pretty. I am trying to picture how they will look with the amber phase of the spent flowers. At any rate they have to look better at that spent bloom time than my red Hinogirl which I presently have planted with them.

Thanks for the photos.

I know the color change is the white flowers in their spent stage, but I tend to like the way that color change looks on them for several weeks after the white is gone. If not for that I would simply remove the spent blooms as soon as the color change began. If that were the case, then yes the red is stunning with the wonderful snow like white show they first display.

Maybe, I should take one of the changed spent blooms with me and compare it with other bloom colors at some of my local nurseries. I will be sure to take your list with me to be sure, if I choose to purchase some, that they are also compatable with the size and bloom season.

Thanks again for the list.

Sponsored