Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea's limbs are dying

Posted by nanapam02 Raleigh N.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 21:13

The plant looks good then one day one of the limbs starts to turn brown and then it dies. Can't find signs of any creatures. Some plants range in age from 10 to 20 yrs. old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea's limbs are dying

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 11:05

There are three possibilities where you might find individual branches on azaleas dying -
Plants that are experiencing drought will sometimes react with entire stems or branches dying instead of the whole plant - almost like they are conserving what little moisture there is by making a sacrifice :)
Rhododendron/azalea borer (insect), and bark split which is weather related. Sudden low temperatures in Fall or in early Spring after a warm up can cause bark to crack and separate from the body of the stem and the branch beyond the stem will die.

o

Thanks for the info. No problem with drought and I checked the dead limbs for a borer. I would say the weather but they were doing it last year.

o

There are two other possibilties that I know of.

1) overly wet soil can cause roots to die

2) Phytophthora root rot. Phytophthora is a soil-borne fungus-like organism that attacks roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here