Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clodsley_shovel

No blooms

clodsley_shovel
18 years ago

I have several no-name white azaleas in a raised bed under a willow tree in my yard. They've been there for about nine years and are now about 5' wide and 3' tall. They've bloomed beautifully every year except for this year. Earlier red variety in the same bed is already starting to fade - it bloomed beautifully - these should be in full bloom right now but I don't see any buds. Leaves seem a bit small and slightly yellow. We've had a very mild dry winter here near Raleigh NC.

Are the willow roots finally choking these bushes out? (The tree was also planted about nine years ago.) Do I have a disease? Should I move them?

Thx

Comments (7)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Most willow have a dense, fibrous root system, closer to the surface particularly in clay soils. After 9 years, it could be competing for nutrients and WATER. Have you tried digging into the bed about at the drip line of your azaleas...they do best in a loose soil high in organic content; if you can't get the shovel in, you have a problem.

Common reasons for failure to bloom...too much shade. Drought in summer when they are setting buds for the following year. Over fertilization with a high nitrogen product, or the reverse, poor plant nutrition ( especially phosphorus deficiency) reduces the number of buds.

• mbmitche
    18 years ago

clodsley,

I'm just down the road from you in Fuquay. I have a area with many medium and large trees with about 25 five year old azaleas scattered amongst them. They've always bloomed beautifully, except this year. Only about 5 have blooms at all, and even those are few in number. My guess is that with the trees, they're stressed for water and nutrients. My plan it to drip irrigate them and give them some hollytone.

• stevied
    18 years ago

FWIW, I didn't get any blooms on my white indica azalea this year, either. My snow kurume's bloomed just fine, however, and so did my red indicas.

• laurieatl
    17 years ago

I have a 4 year old George Taber azalea that bloomed fine the first two years it was in the ground, but the past two it has not set buds. It is under a canopy of hardwoods, but is not in deep shade. It has been fertilized properly as far as I know. Any suggestions as to how to get it to bloom? I live in Atlanta, Ga.

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Consider:

(a) lack of water during the critical summer months, when the buds are set or

(b) too much nitrogen. Humus created from mulch should be sufficient food for them. The Azalea Society says they are not heavy feeders so do not feed them fertilizers. Some Hollytone or cottonseed meal would be ok if you feel like you have to give them something after blooming in the spring.

(c) Have you done a soil test recently to check for mineral deficiencies?

Luis

• laurieatl
    17 years ago

Thank you very much for your input, Luis. I will get a soil test done, something I haven't done as yet.

• gmom74
    17 years ago

It's interesting to read that our azaleas were not the only ones that didn't bloom this year. Over the past years they have survived drought, too much rain, and freezes and have always bloomed- till this year. Last year they were beautiful.