Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please recommend a Rhododendron?

Posted by disneynut1977 5A Syracuse NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 22:17

Hi, I have no experiance at all with Rhododendron's, so please be patient with me. I hope 1 will solve a little problem for me.

Here is a pic of the area I would like to put 1 in this year. The spot would be not directly behind the Dwarf Jap. Maple, but off to the side of it, closer to the house. Nested in the corner of the front porch and halfway across my large front window. So I have about a 6' wide section to devote and about 5' high. I only want the plant to get about a foot or a little bit more above my window. The rhododendron would be planted 4ft away from the foundation too.

Front door view of new porch my hubby built

This area does get winter protection. The front of my house faces north. For sun, I would say the area is part shade. Early spring, before the 2 maples out front leaf out, that spot gets about 3-4 hours direct very early morning sun, by 11am the sun has moved on for the day. After my maples leave out. I would say I lose only about an hour of direct morning light. The area is moist, no standing water at all, but for being close to my foundation, I would say it is moist. The area is enriched and fluffed up. The last 2 years I have been working that area quite a bit to improve it.

Color is not that big of a deal. I don't want red though. Would prefer a lighter color, like pale pink, peach, lilac/lavender or even plain white is fine. Could do a bright pink also.

It must be 1 that is pretty common, so I can get at my local stores. Home Depot, Lowes and such. I would consider a trip to a nursery too. Since it's only 1 I want, I could pay higher nursery prices.

Please help me out
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please recommend a Rhododendron?

I ended up picking 1 up at Wally World today. My hubby and I went there for a knee brace for him and they had gotten a shipment the day before of their shrub's, so i just had to take a look. They had quite a bit to choose from. I picked a PJM Elite. Everything was in great condition, so I just had to pick a form I liked. I picked 1 that was shorter than the rest, but very bushy and wide. I only spent $14, so I don't think it was that bad. I finished putting it in about an hour ago.

I also saw alot of Purple Gem rhodie's that I thought the foliage was so beautiful. I have to do a little more research on them because I am getting conflicking info on the mature height of them. The spot I would like to put a few of them I only want something max of 3' high, so we'll see what I can find out.

Melissa1977

o

Purple Gem and PJMs of all kinds are small-leafed Rhodies. If you're looking for a big-leaf Rhodie you can't go wrong with Cunningham's White. Very hardy and won't turn into a monster. There is a gorgious canary yellow Rhodie called Capistrano but I doubt that you'll find it in a box store- definately a nursery for that one.

o

Jack, I actually really like the smaller foliage. So petite and pretty.

That yellow one sounds nice though. The 2 Hydrangea's I have in this bed halfway, I may be replacing, so we'll see.....I may have to pick up a few more rhododendron's :)

Melissa1977

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here