Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Please recommend a Rhododendron?

Hi, I have no experiance at all with Rhododendron's, so please be patient with me. I hope 1 will solve a little problem for me.

Here is a pic of the area I would like to put 1 in this year. The spot would be not directly behind the Dwarf Jap. Maple, but off to the side of it, closer to the house. Nested in the corner of the front porch and halfway across my large front window. So I have about a 6' wide section to devote and about 5' high. I only want the plant to get about a foot or a little bit more above my window. The rhododendron would be planted 4ft away from the foundation too.

{{gwi:389110}}

This area does get winter protection. The front of my house faces north. For sun, I would say the area is part shade. Early spring, before the 2 maples out front leaf out, that spot gets about 3-4 hours direct very early morning sun, by 11am the sun has moved on for the day. After my maples leave out. I would say I lose only about an hour of direct morning light. The area is moist, no standing water at all, but for being close to my foundation, I would say it is moist. The area is enriched and fluffed up. The last 2 years I have been working that area quite a bit to improve it.

Color is not that big of a deal. I don't want red though. Would prefer a lighter color, like pale pink, peach, lilac/lavender or even plain white is fine. Could do a bright pink also.

It must be 1 that is pretty common, so I can get at my local stores. Home Depot, Lowes and such. I would consider a trip to a nursery too. Since it's only 1 I want, I could pay higher nursery prices.

Please help me out

Melissa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH