Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My azaleas don't seem right

Posted by yotaco_22 FL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 22:24

My azaleas are not filling out like they should. They are about 4 feet tall. From the ground up to about two feet are bare with no leaves. From about two feet up, the leaves start. What can I do to make them fill out from the ground up with leaves. The azaleas where existing when we moved in. The base of the azaleas are packed with fallen leaves from oak trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My azaleas don't seem right

Hello, yotaco_22. Azaleas get leggy when they do not receive enough sun. To promote fuller growth, you pinch the leaf buds as they begin to unfurl in early Spring. This is called pinching.

Be careful when doing this work around the bushes. Azalea roots are very tiny and fibruous. They reside in the top 4" of the soil and do not like to be disturbed. Adventitious growth cells along the stems will be triggered to grow by pinching and result in a fuller bush. Start this next year; you will need to do it for maybe 2-3 years.

The oak leaves are ok as long as they are not too too packed. I did not get a good understanding of how much the oak leaves are packed but, to give you a point of reference, azaleas should be mulched with 3-4" of any acidic type of mulch. They feed off the decomposing mulch so check the amount of mulch in Spring and Fall.

If the azaleas do not get much sun (aim for 3 hours of morning sun), consider raising the canopy of the oak tree a little, transplanting, etc. Indirect sunlight reflected off other surfaces like cement does count so see what works in your garden.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here