Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tips on rooting native azaleas

Posted by Judithw z7TN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 22:52

I just LOVE these things, and I've love to know how/when to take and root cuttings. There are many blooming right now in my area, but I can never locate them when they're NOT in flower. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tips on rooting native azaleas

Deciduous rhododendrons like most of the native American species are difficult to root. The best course is to take cuttings when the current year's growth has hardened somewhat but is still flexible. Wound the base of the cuttings, use a relatively strong rooting hormone and place the cuttings in a mixture of 50% peat and 50% perlite. Cover the flat with clear plastic on a wire frame and keep in a bright place without direct sun. Then hope and be patient.
Anoher option is to collect seed when ripe, sow on spahgnum or live moss above the peat/perlite mixture in a flat covered with plastic. Water with distilled water or rain water. The seedlings grow relatively quickly.

o

Mainegrower - thanks for the tip - i was surfing and ran across this, cool! have another question - don't laugh please - i am good at rooting stuff, but learning the seed angle too....how do you know when the seeds are ripe on Native Azaleas?

o

Seeds are ripe when the capsules have turned brown and are beginning to split/open. This usually doesn't happen until the fall. Capsules can be collected before they are fully ripe - place in a paper bag. The seeds will continue to ripen. They are tiny and produced in huge numbers in each capsule.

o

Thanks a bunch Mainegrower - I will try it - and will also steal seeds from the whitish one at work! (not a nursery, sad to say - just a gov't building!)

o

How long does it take to layer native azaleas? Has anyone tryed this method for them? It seems more reliable than cuttings.

o

I layered one of my native azaleas by laying a large broken branch over a farily long stem. The next year I had 2 azaleas side by side. I never moved or even tried to transplant the "new" bush but it was rooted under the branch.

o

Have lots of wild azaleas growning wild on my property

Funny...But I guess I didn't have enough experience to do it the correct way. Took some from dirt from old stumps in the woods that had rotted, built a small mound. I simply cut about 3/4 inch from a node on the wild azalea and placed it into the mound.

Kept them watered and now I have about 10 to 15 thriving azaleas. In fall I gather and toss leaves around the mound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here