Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea Elevation

Posted by bluesunflower 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 1:22

This may sound like a silly question to some but...is there an elevation that azaleas don't do well in? I live outside of Seattle, about a thousand feet up a mountain. I have lived here only a couple of years and I am learning that there is a difference in some things. For instance we got three feet of snow this winter when everyone else got a foot or less.
I am on my second set of little azaleas and they don't look like they are thriving. I think they probably have some winter damage. I can understand that I might need to cover them for the deep winter but if they are never going to be happy here I will stop torturing the little things.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea Elevation

We are 1500 ft here and the only problem with azalea are the deer. Did you mean that you get 3 ft of snow when below gets a foot, or that your total snowfall for the year is 3 ft?
I planted a tiny little azalea last fall and it did survive the winter, and another one I have is 18 years old.
Are you sure the varieties you are buying are hardy to your zone? I always figure my 'zone' by what the coldest winter night can drop to - not what the maps say.

o
RE: Azalea Elevation

Woodthrush, thank you for replying!
I was talking 3 ft of snow all at once. In the Pacific NW we can usually count on some snow every winter but the amount differs widely. I am sorry to say that I don't know about the hardiness. Did the weekend gardener thing and just assumed it was all good. duh.

I will look for the tags from the purchase. I usually save all those. Then I will look into other considerations such as lighting and exposure. Thank you very much for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here