Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Rhododendrums

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 2:54

I brought a old house and as you can see these are probably as old as the house.

Rhodes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Rhododendrums

Amazing! It's a wonder that borers haven't gotten to them by now as they have in mine. They are truly outstanding.

Would love to see a bit more of your house!

o

dedtired, what is a borer? I have another big one at the front of the driveway. I brought this old house a year ago and have been fixing it up and finding what is on the property everything is over grown on the 4 acres so it is a work in progress. So there is not a lot to see. Just a lot of work to make it pretty.

Here is a pic of the front.

may 2010

A pic of the driveway

DRIVEWAY

o

Any suggestion how I can root these two?

Thank you.

o

Seed will not come true to the original plant since they are hybrids, use cuttings.

The easy way is to send cuttings to Kathy Van Veen at Van Veen nursery in Portland, Oregon. http://www.VanVeenNursery.com/rhododendron_propogation.html

The hard way is to learn how to root rhododendrons yourself. There is information at:

Propagation of rhododendrons from cuttings

Good Luck!

o

Thank you Rhodyman you rock. I love these so much. I recently purchased this property on 4 acres and I want them every where. LOL

o

This is what a Rhododendron Borer is. Look for holes in branches and frass on the ground and in branch crotches. Don't panic if you see them, they are quite easy to control with pruning, and treatment if you use chemicals. Timing is important in treating the adults. Don't treat if you don't have them. And check with your Extension Service for timing if you do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhodendron Borer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here