Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new rhody garden help---please

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 8:57

We want to put up a garden shed and move my hostas in around it. I have decided to also move in some rhodos. Where I want to put these is in an area that has pine trees. We have already started cutting some of the lower branches to provide better light conditions, then we spent yesterday pulling out some of the old stumps. Once everything is out, we will amend the soil with lots of compost. Will the pine needles make the soil to acidic? I don't know too much about rhodos but they don't like harsh winter winds right? I was planning on placing the shed on the north side and the rhodos will go in front of it, sheltering them from the winds. This is an area with lots of wind so I don't think circulation will be a problem. Is there any other fertilizer I should work into the soil? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new rhody garden help---please

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 11:28

Amending the planting area with compost is a great start and your planning to give them protection from harshest winter winds sounds good. If planted in soil high in organic content (compost) that is acidic in ph they may need no other fertilizer, are not heavy feeding shrubs and fertilizing at planting time wouldn't be necessary.

Rhododendrons will normally coexist happily with oaks and pines in particular so no worries there.

I'm not clear on whether these are rhododendrons you already have and are moving or will be buying - if buying new be sure to look for those hardy to your winters. Plants listed in the Midwest Chapter section should come close to meeting your needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proven Performers list

o
RE: new rhody garden help---please

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 11:58

Thanks for th advice. I do not yet have any rhodos but will have to buy one. I figure I can get one and see how it does and if it does well, I can get another. Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out. I have read that the PJM are the hardiest and was thinking of getting one of those. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here