Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susand60

PJM Rhodies attacked by deer

susand60
15 years ago

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some guidance. I planted 4 pjm rhodies in the fall. Deer got to two of them. The damage was not severe, (I still had some buds on the 2 eaten ones) but significant enough. They have since bloomed and the flowers are now gone, and they are growing back nicely. My question is, since they are growing lots of new foliage, will they be able to form their buds for next years bloom? I'm concerned that I will not have flowers next year. Also, I thought rhodies bloom late spring thru early summer. These bloomed in mid-April, the flowers were gone within 2 weeks. Is that because they are very young? Thanks for any advise.

Comments (2)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Yes, your 2009 spring blooms are safe; azaleas/rhodies develop buds for next spring approximately in August. The start of blooming season depends on the variety. PJM, for example, blooms from mid to late April and the blooms last for about two weeks. Other rhododendron variesties bloom earlier or later. Kurumes bloom very early. Satsukis, Gumpos, R. viscosum, R. cumberlandense and others bloom mid-to-late into the growing season (mid May or June-July).

• susand60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks luis_pr for the info. I'll do my best to protect them this fall/winter from the hungry deer. I look forward to next springs blooms.

Sponsored