Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for white, low/slow growing evergreen azaleas

Posted by leahbird 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 10:34

I live in Newton, Mass, just west of Boston, and am looking for a reliable (probably not Gumpo) white azalea with a low habit and preferably at least semi-evergreen. Any thoughts about local nurseries? Weston has nothing, Mahoney's has only Gumpo, and I can't get to the Vineyard to shop the Polly Hill cultivars... although I love them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for white, low/slow growing evergreen azaleas

I went to the ARS website and searched for any white azalea 3' tall in 10 years, hardy to -15F and white. It came up with 1 possibility, a Weston.

Weston's Innocence, which is deciduous

Going up to 4' in 10 years, it came up with 4, all deciduous.

Daviesi, Fragrant Star, Snowbird, and Sylphides. Fragrant Star and Sylphides are the hardiest.

Going down to 2' in 10 years, it came up with 2, both evergreen.

Helen Curtis, and Marie's Choice

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rhododendron Society Azalea Finder

o

I have a white Chionoides Rhodedendron, which doesn't grow to high, 4 feet at the most but it grows wide, it's a pretty dense evergreen variety and looks stunning when it's in bloom. I purchased mine at a garden center in Lunenburg but they do have them at Home Depot, I saw them there a week ago. Mine hasn't bloomed yet but has huge buds ready to pop very soon.

Linda

o

My favorite of the low, white blooming evergreen azaleas is 'Everest', although it may not be hardy enough for your zone (-5F). I'd consider 'Snowbird' as a reasonable alternative. It is deciduous but produces a profusion of small, sweetly scented flowers and has a very compact habit compared to most deciduous azaleas.

o

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I've noticed that many of the nurseries around here now sell very few cultivars, and they seem to often sell the same ones, so it's time for a web search. I'll check out all the options and see what I can buy without increasing my carbon footprint (i.e. not having it come from Washington State...)

o

Not an azalea, but some of the dwarf Mountain Laurels might work. I have 'Elf' and it has stayed very petite.

o

There were several white varieties in Greer's EVERGREEN AZALEA section (including Gumpo.)

I love my Rhododendron 'Clipinense' which is white, low growing and early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here