Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Azalea

Posted by sylky00 z6 KY (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 10:56

There is a shrub blooming in a nearby yard that I think is an azalea. It is spectacular-pure tangerine orange. Does anyone know what variety it could be? I've seen coral or peachy colors before, but never this shade. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Azalea

Its a deciduous azalea.
It might be the exbury azalea called 'gibralter' or there's another one with the word 'reynolds' in it which is another orange exbury azalea. Its probably one of those two or it could be 'aromi sunset' which is as you describe, I have that one in my yard.

o

I've only seen one orange orange azalea, Orange Beauty, and that was in a bonsai show. I don't believe that I have ever seen it sold in this country for some reason. It's a karume.

There are plenty of red/orange evergreen azaleas but I've yet to see another orange orange one!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Beauty Azalea

o

There are some native azaleas which are orange both naturally and in cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron calendulaceum

o

I'm sorry, my posting was confusing. I was trying to discuss the possibility of the azalea being an evergreen species. Orange Beauty is evergreen. There are many deciduous orange azaleas.

o

The Orange Beauty is available if you live in Northern Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange beauty

o

For a list of orange azaleas check:

Orange Azaleas

For photos of these azaleas check:

Azalea Photos

I am betting it is Gibraltar. It is a very popular deciduous orange azalea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Giibraltar.

o

I have an orange azalea that is so spectacular, passers-by stop to ask what it is, where I purchased it, etc. It is a huge plant and has bright tangerine-orange blossoms and some people have suggested that it's an "old fashioned azalea." I purchased the plant without a label to identify it and bought it for only $1.00. I am going to attempt to root a cutting this year.

o

While I do have orange decideous azaleas (calendulaceum, prunifollum most notably, and some exbury's (gibralter, berryrose and a few others that were orphan resuces), I do have a Beltsville dwarf evergreen azalea 'Salmon elf' which is a real nice orange. Beautiful dark bronze/plum foliage in the winter.

They're out there. Just got to be patient and there's always new things being developed.

o

I googled for orange evergreen azalea and found one in the UK; Leanardslee Plants, called Azalea "Squirrel". Haven't inquired about shipping, but the plant is listed for 12.50 pounds. Check the link and tell me if that's close to the color you're looking for.
Regards,
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Image Azalea

o
RE: Orange Azalea - Squirrel

Sorry - gave the wrong link.
Trying again for AZALEA SQUIRREL!
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Squirrel

o
RE: Orange Azalea - eleven evergreen choices

Leonardslee Plants lists eleven orange evergreen azaleas.
Hope the link is successful.
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: More orange azalea choices

o

here in ky. you are seeing what everyone calls honeysuckles. but it is a FLAME AZALEA. I have been trying for years to get that glowing orange, but every flame I have ordered is not the orange I desire.Your best bet probably is to see if they would let you take some cuttings Sept.-Nov. and send to Van Veen Nursery they will root them for you and it is a top notch business.

o

Flame azaleas grow wild in the Smoky Mountains. Usually in the higher elevations. Bright orange flowers. They bloom around May-June. Not sure if they would thrive here or not but I sure wish I had some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here