Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Requesting ID on rhodie

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 10:58

I realize there are only, oh maybe HUNDREDS of rhodie varieties. But I'm wondering if this looks familiar to anyone. Sorry for the bad photo. This was growing in our Northern VA yard in a very sunny spot and wasn't doing well. I moved it to a shadier spot and it's doing OK now. Can anyone ID it from the flowers? It has a lighter pink throat with darker pink petal edges. Maybe offer some suggestions on names that I can research? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Requesting ID on rhodie

Would you believe thousands of different rhododendron hybrids.

You can start by going to the ARS Rhododendron Database at:

http://www.rhododendron.org/search_multi.htm

And put in the correct information for your plant:

Species or Hybrid: Hybrid
Predominate Flower Color: Pink
Height (Ft.) in 10 Years: ?
Bloom Time: ?
Fragrant: Yes or No
Hardiness At Or Below: ?F
Elepidote or Lepidote: Elepidote

Leave any entry you don't know at "any". You will have to pick either fragrant or not fragrant.

You will come up with a list of less than 100. Then go through the list looking at the pictures of each one.

o
RE: Requesting ID on rhodie

Well, that's a place to start anyway! Thanks rhodyman!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here