Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants

Posted by live2hunt9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 11:00

I heard someone say that rhodies attract ants and need them to produce buds. That can't be true can it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 14:18

Correct. Not true.

o

thats what I figured, the person that told me that says a lot of BS.

o

From the University of Missouri: It is common to observe ants and aphids on the same plants. Ants and aphids provide a fascinating relationship. Ants need sugar in their diet and aphid honeydew is particularly attractive to ants. Ants collect the honeydew from plant material and encourage aphids to produce more by guarding the aphid colonies, thus protecting their food source by driving away potential predators of the aphids.

Thus, if ants are detected on plants in the garden, such as a rhododendron, be sure to look more closely and you may find a resident population of aphids as well.

o

It's important to note that ants will feed on the sugary excrement (called honey dew) from any insects species that produce it. This includes some scale species, mealybugs, and whitefly....as well as aphids. Some ants will even feed directly on nectar from the flowers, if they can get to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here