Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem of changing colors

Posted by shic_2006 4a 5a (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 11:03

My indoor Azaleas change the colors of their flowers easily. I admit that some of the new colors are lovely. However, I feel unpleasant seeing a plant with deep pink flowers on one side, light pink ones in the middel, and white ones on the other side. Or, some flowers are of uniformed color, while others have deeper base color and whitish border color. The effect is a bit too "busy".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem of changing colors

They might be satsuki azaleas. They are a Japanese azalea family that was bred for this highly variable flowering. They typically have flowers with all combinations of colors, for example pink, white, and white and pink, sort of like you get when you breed different colored cats.

If it is not a satsuki, then you are seeing the effect of light on the color. There are two effects that I am aware of.

One is the light triggering of some pigmentation. Certain colors are more prominent in flowers on parts of the plant that get sunlight, direct or indirect.

The other is fading, in which colors fade with time in flowers on sides of the plant that get more sunlight, direct or indirect.

o
RE: Problem of changing colors

Based on appearance of the blooms, some of my Azaleas have some blood from satsuki. That might be the cause of the problem. I also agree that temperature and light are factors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here