Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjanet

transplanting mature rhodo

My neighbours are rebuilding their house next door, and decided--in the very process of the demolition--, that the 9' diam, 8' high rhodo would have to go. They insisted I take it, (as did everyone else who was watching the show) since the demolition guy said he could dig me a spot in my garden and excavate the rhodo and drop it into the new spot. OF COURSE it wasn't that simple, the grief of which I wond't go into(!) but there is currently an enormous, fabulously blooming, medium-size-leafed mature rhodo in a suitable spot in the backyard.

The excavating bucket was three feet, so that's the size of the rootball. Which was hardly a rootball at all, but there are roots, and there is soil. It's situated in a semi-shaded area, will get no morning sun, lots of afternoon sun in deep summer, and little sun at soil level because of a 6' fence behind it.

So, what do I do now? Is there any chance of salvaging it?

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Hopefully you got what rootball there was back into the ground no deeper than it was originally growing. A little more width would have been helpful (more of the shallow surface roots) but don't be too concerned about a lack of larger deeper anchoring roots if its balanced and the wind is not going to blow it over.

The sun/shade requirements aren't as critical for those of us growing in the Pacific Northwest, many types will be fine in full afternoon sun here when they would burn elsewhere.

Most important, until Fall rains begin again, keep it watered, pay close attention in late summer when we tend to go long periods without rain. Absolutely apply a mulch over the root zone, will help to conserve moisture and keep the root zone cool this summer.

The rain and showers in the next several days forecast will be in your favor - the wind predicted for tonight may not be :)

• PRO
    Real Life Garden Solutions
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks morz8. Now, what about pruning it back so there's less bulk to maintain on the diminished root zone?

I don't think I need to worry too much about wind, even ours (at least it's not November)-- I think it's probably at least 400 lbs weighing it down (three adults couldn't budge it by pulling on the tarp), and pretty level, and yes, same depth as it was growing in.

The other concern (how MANY concerns?) is the wounds from the excavator. Besides the many broken branches-- should I saw off the ends clean, or does it matter?-- there are scrapes along some major branches. Do they need some kind of Bandaid/Second Skin?

Thanks,

J

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Incidentally, I'd love to know what kind of rhodo I have here. Following I hope are some pics:

{{gwi:390421}}
    Newly planted next to 6' fence

Maybe this is better:
    {{gwi:390423}}

Indoor picture of truss:
    {{gwi:390424}}

Same truss, different time of day. The real colour is closer to the first pic, but just a bit bluer.

{{gwi:390426}}

Sorry about the teeny tiny pics...

• Jon 6a SE MA
    13 years ago

I had a 20 foot high rhododendrum that was heaving an asphalt sidewalk. I took a chain saw to it and in clearing it out took two branches with roots and planted them in the backyard. Both have thrived and filled into nice bushes. the stubs and root system at the original location regrew into a Rhodie that I cut back each year to keep the height in check. Pruning each year led to few blossoms and I have just taken 4 rooted "cuttings" from this plant which seem to be thriving so far and I fully expect to have 4 more plants from them.

I removed the root mass (about 2 feet in diameter) and have placed it on the ground in the expectation that this will sprout and grow into another plant. I have every expectation that your inherited plant will, after taking a couple of years to settle in, do very well. Cut the broken off branches completely, they will die anyway. Trimming them will produce dead stubs. If the branches are scratched beyong 25% of the cambium layer, cut them off. No "Band-Aids" can help them. 25% or less and they will heal by themselves nicely.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

The general suggestion in recent years is not to cut back at transplant time to make up for root loss, to leave the plant intact or you are giving it two jobs at once, establishing roots and pushing out new growth from dormant buds.

Of course, cut anything jagged or broken with sharp pruners or saw so those areas will heal cleanly and not create a foothold for secondary insect or disease issues. The bark scrapes should heal themselves unless they involve a good portion of the stem (like half the circumference or so), and in that case the stem above the wound may die back. Painting or sealing isn't recommended.

• PRO
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much--wonderful news!. Now about the identity...?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County