Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilize After Pruning?

Posted by iam3killerbs 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 11:16

This morning, after browsing the excellent advice given on this site, DH and I gave the azaleas that had swallowed the west end of the house a severe pruning.

Should we now fertilize them to promote vigorous new growth?

My thought was that they'd benefit from some kind of feeding followed by the application of a good mulch of pine straw (I'm in the Sandhills where the longleaf pines grow so I just have to rake it from one part of the yard to another).

Am I on the right track?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilize After Pruning?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, May 9, 09 at 18:47

The mulch is a good idea, conserves moisture and cools the root zone.

How did they look before pruning? These are not heavy feeders and it's better to fertilize in response to symptoms - especially if you are growing in soil with the correct (acidic) ph. If well established, they could easily produce vigorous new growth on their own with no intervention from you.

o

Except for one spindly one that had been badly crowded by equally overgrown hollies, they were rampantly, outrageously healthy. We have a good dozen baby azaleas to dig up where branches had rooted.

This is the before picture -- beautiful, but we couldn't see out of any of the windows on that end of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azaleas before

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, May 9, 09 at 21:23

I don't think they need fertilizer :)

They look like lovely plants, and similar to what was growing at/over the front window of the home my brother had in Oregon - how large is your lot? I ask because problem is, healthy and well established, these will likely reach their pre-pruning size in fewer years than you would guess and you'll be cutting back again. Another alternative would be to move them at some point to where their height isn't an issue - away from the window - and replant that bed with something lower growing.

o

They are far too large to move without a backhoe. The stumps remaining after the severe pruning are over a yard across -- all that pink was only 2 bushes.

I wish that the people who build houses would give some thought to the eventual size of the cute, little, gallon-pot plants they plunk into utterly inadequate spaces.

This isn't the first place we've had massively over-grown, misplaced plants to cope with.

At this point with these azaleas we can only plan on attempting to keep them in check with annual pruning after they regrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here