Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodo buds but no blooms

Posted by klajeck z7MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 11:17

I have a rhododendron that looks fairly healthy and has buds on it, but does not bloom. When I first moved here three years ago, it looked not so good -- yellow and brown on many of the leaves. I pruned out the affected leaves and fertilized it with Miracid fall and spring for two years. Now the foilage is healthier, and the buds look healthy too. But all the other rhodos in the neighborhood are blooming and mine's not again. Should I be doing something differently? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodo buds but no blooms

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, May 22, 06 at 16:47

Two reasons for failure to bloom are summer drought, and too much shade. If you found browning on leaves (particularly on the outer leaf margins), the rhododendron may not have been getting enough water before you moved in.

If it's now getting enough regular water, but is in too much shade, you'll have few, if any, flower buds.

Could you give a little more information on what kind of care it receives, and how it is sited?

o
RE: Rhodo buds but no blooms

There are two types of buds: leaf buds and flower buds. In winter they look similar, but in spring the flower buds swell up like small golf balls. Leaf buds stay the same shape.

Miracid may be the problem. It is high in nitrogen and nitrogen promotes leaf and branch growth and discourages flower bud production. It can also force late season growth that gets killed or stunted by frost damage. Phosphorus promotes flower bud production and hardiness. Potassium is necessary for well being. No fertilizer or an early spring application of HollyTone are better choices.

Pruning after mid summer is also a problem. The buds are formed in summer and early fall so pruning then or later is not advisable since it will remove flower buds. New leaf buds will form in the spring, but new flower buds won't form until the next year.

If you have flower buds that did not open they could bloom later in the season (up until mid July for some varieties) or if they are brown inside, the variety may be two tender for your area and the buds are freezing.

If you don't have flower buds, then too much nitrogen or too much shade are the most likely culprits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here