Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zevi_b

New Rhododendron -- Need fast advice about planting...

zevi_b
17 years ago

Hello,

(I hope I'm not double-posting -- I posted it earlier, but I don't see it...)

Yesterday we got a Rhododendron gift. It is about 1.5 ft (width as well as height) above the root ball.

From what I read, pruning is not advised. At least not as a regular way of keeping its size. So, preparing to plant the Rhododendron, I face these questions:

(1) How big will it get? In other words - location: what kind of space should I provide it to avoid future collisions?

(2) We live in South-East Michigan (i.e., there's always some clay in the soil; what kind of soil preparation is needed? (someone told me I need special soil mix?)

(3) Other advice/recommendations? (i.e., being too novice I just don't even know what to ask...) Desired neighboring plant/ground cover?

Thanks in advance,

Zevi.

Comments (6)

• zarine
    17 years ago

Well, what kind is it? Most rhodos can get large (5' - 10') high and wide. It takes a long time, though. They like acidic soil and partial shade. I bought the rhodo/azalia food and put it in the hole. it was easier than mixing it with water and doing it. You can top dress it later (they are heavy feeders). Enjoy!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Don't feed it! Rhododendrons have very low nutritional requirements compared to most shrubs - if your soil is even average fertility and an acidic ph, it may never need fertilizing.

They do like a soil high in organic content (compost) that will retain some moisture without remaining soggy.

Perfect conditions for rhododendron (see how close you can come) - loose aerated soil structure, ph of between 4.5-6.0, cool moist but well drained soil, shelter from wind and excessive sun.

Be sure to loosen the rootball well when planting so the roots can establish into the surrounding soil, don't plant it any deeper than it was growing in the nursery container (if you've dug and amended the soil, allow for some settling by planting slightly high), and mulch after planting - the mulch can be the cornerstone to successful growing, it will conserve moisture and cool the root zone. Pay careful attention to watering, especially this first year.

I can't give you an approximate mature size without knowing which rhododendron. Ground cover plants around it are not recommended; rhododendrons have a surface network of feeder roots that will eventually extend out at least as far as the widest branches and ground cover will interfere with root growth.

• zevi_b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your replies!

I don't know exactly the type of rhododendron, but see the link below for and image of the plant. The label on it says "Pana". What does that mean?

{{gwi:390545}}

{{gwi:390546}}

Thanks again,
    Zevi.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Oh, it's a Yak hybrid - (I love them)....and is named Pana. You can probably expect this one to get approximately 2 1/2- 3 1/2 feet tall after many years, and wider in width than it is tall.

It has a nice showing of buds now, don't be completely surprised if it does not set as many buds this year for next Springs display, then step in with fertilizers thinking it needs your intervention. Rhododendrons will often spend their first year after being transplanted into your garden becoming established, give it a chance to make itself at home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron Pana

• ajer16
    17 years ago

Zevi,

Did you get your 'Pana' at the ARS Ann Arbor plant sale? It looks real familiar!

If your soil is anything like mine, your sitting on alkaline conditions, highly buffered with calcium carbonate. Given my totally inappropriate soil, my method has been to make a large mound on top of the existing stuff. The mound is a mixture of 2 parts Gummer's topsoil from Meijer (good stuff from Mecosta County), 1 part Canadian peat, and 1 part shredded pine bark. This mound mix is acidic, and drains so well that I need to be vigilant about irrigating in the summer.

I'm not a real veteran with rhodies and azaleas like some on this board, but that's what has been working for me. Best of luck!

A.J.

• zevi_b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

AJ -- wow -- small world... I didn't expect to get such a focused, detailed, and local advice! Your info is really helpful! I printed your reply and I'm going to use it as a shopping list to Meijer...

Looks like anywhere you dig in the vicinity of Ann Arbor you get the same clay... We live in the South West out-of-city-limits area.

I don't know where it came from -- we got the plant as a gift.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Zevi.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES