Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cammonro

Capistrano blooming but not looking so hot

cammonro
15 years ago

I planted this Capistrano rhodie last June in what I thought was the perfect spot - with about 4 hours of direct sunlight with protection from the summer heat from a nearby maple tree. It's on a slight slope that used to be grass so I planted some vinca nearby to fill in and help prevent erosion.

The rhodie seemed to do well during the summer. I kept it well watered and watered plentifully in the fall, mulched and applied Wilt Pruf before the winter frost set in.

During the course of the winter it lost a good bit of foliage so I pruned back in the spring. Now before the maple leafed out it's been getting full sun which is contributing to what I believe is sun scorch (but I'm not sure since I'm new at this).

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the plant is still just getting established or is something else wrong? I've read recently that a southern exposure is not ideal for broadleafed evergreens which is where this shrub has been planted. The nearby house shields it from winter afternoon sun though. Have I screwed up here?

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts, advice, etc.

{{gwi:390564}}

{{gwi:390566}}

{{gwi:390568}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored