Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Macrantha

Posted by ego45 6bCT (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 11:44

I just bought an azalea that was marked as "Macrantha pink'.
What I've read says it's from a late blooming Satsuki family and has a low growing almost prostrate habit.
However, it doesn't look like it will be a low growing plant. It's in a 7G pot and about 2' tall and 3' wide already. Mislabeled?
What is your experience with it?
Could you refer me to any site where I could see a whole plant, not a flower picture?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Macrantha/2

One more question.
Would it bloom in a considerable shade?
By that I mean no direct sun whatsoever, but bright dappled sun from noon till 4pm. Fairly dense shade all other times in a summer. In a winter sun/shade situation will be quite different, sun till noon (eastern exposure) and part-shade thereafter. It will have a very good protection from the all winds, though.
It ment to be a replacement for Poukhanense 'Compacta' which in reality not a 'Compacta', but rather a straight species. Nevertheless, poukhanense blooming perfectly there, but it's an early bloomer and that might make a big difference.

o
RE: Macrantha

not low-growing at my house, george.
it it has been planted since the early 80's and is slightly larger than a 4'x4' rounded shape. it has not grown to the size of some of my other azaleas such as the southern indicas, which get huge here. the site is on the north side of my house which gets no winter sun but summer direct sun for about 2-3 hours at mid-day.
i am going out of town tomorrow for a few days but will try to get you a photo of it soon. it has just begun to flower and should be more colorful by then. i think it needs a good bit of shade here because of the temperatures when it blooms. can't see the flowers on this one lasting long if in much sun during mid to late may. for a lower growing, late-bloomer, maybe 'wakaebisu'? they are ahead of 'macrantha' here by about 10 days.

o

some photos here of the shrubs. appears they are planted in a natural setting under trees in dappled shade.
they are calling it 'macranthum' rather than 'macrantha'. wonder which is correct? you would think the azalea society would be an accurate source.
also, they list a dwarf variety of this one. maybe that is what you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of 'macrantha'

o

Jeff, big thanks.
If you say 4'x4' in 20 something years, that is a low growing azalea in my books. :-))
Would be a perfect replacement for poukhanense which is already in 4' range and keeps going.
Since we at least 1 month behind you in a bloom time (for example, Elsie Lee just started and poukhanense still have some color), mid to late June would be a perfect timing for me.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here