Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodo 'Sapho' worthwhile?

Posted by woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 12:28

Our local Lowe's just got in young plants of the Rhododenron "Sapho", white flowers with a burgundy spotted area (the plants are not in flower).
The plants look healthy and I like this flower color, but I think I remember reading there are some drawbacks to this cultivar (?). Is this a worthwhile purchase?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodo 'Sapho' worthwhile?

It is a very popular plant. It tends to get leggy. If you are willing to break off the top flower buds every spring, then you will have yourself a very nice plant.

Sappho

For details on Sappho use the link below:

A better plant is Calsap. It looks like Sappho but has improved plant habit and much hardier. It is described at:

Calsap, a big improvement over Sappho

Calsap

Here is a link that might be useful: Sappho

o

Boy did I goof. You break off the top LEAF buds to keep leggy plants in check not flower buds. Better yet, get a Calsap and enjoy! Calsap is a little pinker while Sappho is more white. They have about the same distinctive blotch.

o

Thank you rhodyman!
I picked one up last night, as I can easily live with the legginess where it is going (towards the back of the yard, in a mixed shrub border).

o

To hide legginess of any large size rhodie you may want to plant relatively small growing (3-4') evergreen azalea.
Of course if you have enough space.

o
RE: Rhodo 'Sapho' worthwhile?/2

I'm goofing too. LOL.
To hide legginess of any large size rhodie you may want to plant relatively small growing (3-4') evergreen azalea IN front of it.
Of course if you have enough space FOR BOTH PLANTS.

o

I have Calsap and regardless of what you may have: Sappho or Calsap. They're both stunning when in flower.

o

Sappho's one of my alltime favourites; pure and great contrast.
Calsap's muddier.
Sappho does really well here on Vancouver Island. Many Rhodos are tall and leggy in nature, bloom is good plus root and leaf health. So many really old ones are being ripped out for condos here; it's a crime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here