Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lovely ground cover mini-Rhodies at WM

Posted by shic_2006 4a 5a (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 12:39

I just saw this last weekend. The flowers are mini-sized grouped into a ball - salmon red and hose-in-hose. The plants are less than 12" high with very small leaves. How interesting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lovely ground cover mini-Rhodies at WM

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 5, 06 at 17:01

Cultivar names?

o

Okay, I went back to check. They are labeled: Fisher's Pink or Double Salmon RP-K, etc.

o

Fisher's Pink is a Southern Indian evergreen Azalea that goes by several names: Perfection, Dodd's Pink, Fisher Pink, and Fisher's Pink. This azalea can grow to 6' to 8' tall.

Double Salmon is a deciduous azalea. It a cross between Knap Hill N2 and R. austrinum. It is a deep yellowish-pink and double. This is a medium to tall plant also. (Don't know what RP-K means.)

I would be suspect of any vendor that called these dwarf or ground covers.

o

I think they are the dwarf versions of the label name. The vendor is WalMart.

o

There are no dwarf versions of those plants. They are not like apple trees that can be grafted onto dwarfing root stock. They are what they are.

Perhaps WM's supplier tried to tissue culture them and they didn't respond too well. That is a problem with tissue culture. You never know what the plant is going to be like. Frequently some gene damage occurs. Sometimes it causes a problem and sometimes it doesn't.

o

Woops, my bad. I went back to ask. These looked like the same plants but they are not the ground covering rhodies. The Fisher pink and Double red are just ordinary Rhodies. I was told the special ground covers are sold out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here