Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceaser7

Best red Rhododendron

ceaser7
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a deep red Rhododendron for the north side of my garage. I'd like to have it approx. 6'. Is there such a Rhododendron?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• User
    16 years ago

I saw a real dark red rhodie at Lowes the other day but at the time I thought 25.00 was a bit pricey.
    I guess it's not that expensive after I was searching the web and see the very high prices of vendors online.
    I think I will be going back to Lowes to check them out again. LOL
    I really wanted a yellow, but online they are all sold out.
    Try your local Lowes if there is one near you.
    They are blooming now, so you can see what the true color of the blooms are before you buy. This was not a dwarf by the way.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Hi ceaser7,

The fairly universal hardy red rhododendron for colder climates is Nova Zembla. It is a good red that takes full sun, cold winters, and grows to be about 5' tall. People on the west coast seldom raise it because they have tender blood red rhododendrons that won't grow in our colder climates.

{{gwi:390888}}

• Birdsong72
    16 years ago

Rhodyman's comments re: Nova Zembla are right on the $$$ and there's very few that are hardier.

And that's the historical problem. Regardless of plant folks best intentions, many "reds" are difficult to grow (which is why you don't see a real lot of them), though there are more and more coming onto the market through speciality rhody growers.

I'm very happy with a late April bloomer: 'Tarus' which is a really beauty.

• ceaser7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all!
    I just purchased a Nova Zembla rhododendron.

Thank You for your help

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I love 'Taurus' and 'The Hon Jean Marie Montague'. I also have a creeping smaller one called 'Elizabeth Hobbbie'. I'm way over here on the West Coast though. Lots of people here grow 'Nova Zembla' by the way too.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

I don't think any of the great West Coast reds you named would do well in NW Indiana Zone 5. I know they don't do well here in SE PA in Zone 6.

Taurus Zone 7
    The Honourable Jean Marie de Montague Zone 7
    Elisabeth Hobbie Zone 7
    Nova Zembla Zone 5

I have a Vulcan which is a good red, but it is only Zone 6 and struggles for me. The flowers are good but the foliage is badly winter damaged.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I recently moved to WA from CA. I am having a lot of fun with the Rhodies. The first year I was here I couldn't believe at how incredible they were! Unfortunately, my home only had dwarf rhodies. So I have been really checking them out to see which ones to plant. I like the true reds and dark purples the best. I just planted a Lee's Dark Purple. Incredible color!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The ARS has a rating system that might help in making selections.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area