Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron and Sweet Woodruff?

Posted by misobento z5 Wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 12:47

I read somewhere (of course I can't find it now) that these two plants are good companion plants. The woodruff will grow up the trunk of the rhodys, keep the soil moist, and they can co-exist happily.

Anyone have this pairing that they can share photos of or else advise against it?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron and Sweet Woodruff?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 11 at 12:53

Should be okay as long as the rhododendrons are big enough to not look like they are being inundated. Avoid chopping chunks out of their roots to plant it. Maybe start it nearby and let it spread among them, from there.

o

Once you plant Sweet Woodruff, you will have it forever, whether you want it or not.

I think using it as a groundcover between rhododendrons would be fine, but it would be a good idea to keep it off the rhodendron roots themselves.

As far as keeping the soil moist, all ground covers shade the soil somewhat but they take up water as well. The net effect is they make the soil drier, not more moist.

I have also never seen sweet woodruff climb anything and having any plant grow up the trunks of rhodendrons is not a good idea - here it would tend to make things overly moist, an invitation to fungus, etc.

o

Rhododendrons and sweet woodruff both have shallow roots. They can coexist but not an ideal match. Sweet woodruff is hard to control and will spread. If you plant it, plant it between the plants not under them. Use a mulch under the rhododendrons. Sweet Woodruff is somewhat deer resistant.

Astilbe, Hepaticas and Cyclamen hederifolium do well underneath rhodies. Hardy
geraniums also do well.

o

Thanks for the advice, I decided to move the SW to another location so as not to incur any problems in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here