Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Comprehensive list of bloom times

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 14:05

Hi All, I have been searching all over the net and can't seem to find a comprehensive guide of bloom times for Azaleas and Rhododendrons. I would like to plant an Azalea and Rhodie bed and would like all of them to bloom at the same time. I have seen this in many gardens and the effect is breathtaking. So, if anyone out there knows if such a list exist I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Comprehensive list of bloom times

Such a list is not likely to exist. Bloom time is dependent on several variable factors, weather and temperature being especially important. In Z4, however, there are so few rhododendrons hardy enough for the winter lows that a list may not be needed. If you choose varieties listed as Z4 hardy with mid season bloom designation, you'll probably get what you're looking for, at least in most years.

o

As an alternative, go to the nursery when they're blooming and purchase them then.
You can go for early bloomers, mid bloomers, or late bloomers and group accordingly.

Mike

o

Thanks guys. Mike, the problem is when they bloom at the nursery the following year they bloom at a different time in my garden. This means to me that they must have come from another state or zone to begin with and that's why they are performing differently in my garden.

akamainegrower - I now live in zone 5. Sorry, I should have changed that.

o

The selection is wider in Z5 than Z4, but there are still many variables that effect bloom time, including the exposure in your individual garden. Even though you want to plant them all in a single bed, some will be more influenced by temperature than others. Lists, even fairly comprehensive ones like the one on the Greer Gardens website, apply to Oregon or at least the West Coast and may not be applicable to your climate.

A sizable majority of Z5 rhododendrons are listed as mid season bloomers, but that is no guarantee they will bloom simultaneously every or even most years. If you plant only those indicated as mid season you will very probably get some overlap, but it should be close to what you're seeking. Another drawback, though, is color. Red and purple bloomers tend to be late, so effectively everything will be in the pink and white range with maybe some cream and pale yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here