Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah_pa

New azaleas stopped flowering

leah_pa
17 years ago

I planted azalea bushes about a 4 or 5 weeks ago. They bloomed within a week or two but now all of the blooms have turned brown and fallen off. The leaves still appear to be healthy. They are planted in the eastern part of my yard so they get sun in the mornings and early afternoon and they are planted on a slight incline. The soil is rocky, but other than that I don't know of any other soil problems. We've had very little rain in my area, but I try to water them every day or every other day. Any idea why this happened? Will the blooms come back?

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Azaleas are not continuous blooming, most flower in Spring with the blossoms lasting for a few weeks or even less.

Have you mulched your new plants? Rockey soil isn't ideal for azaleas, you may want to add a mulch of 2 - 3" of compost over the root zone (available by the bag) to slowly feed, cool the roots and conserve moisture. Pay close attention to watering, especially this first year during summer when they will set flower buds for next Spring...you want them moist but not overly saturated and soggy.

Ideal soil for azaleas is acidic in PH, loose, high in organic content (compost).

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Hello, Lea_pa. I wanted to add a note to morz8's comment.

If you purchased Encore Azaleas, these plants will rebloom. But, they do not rebloom quickly like roses do. With repeat flowering roses, you can add fertilizer and force them to bloom again. But Encore Azaleas bloom and then they 'take a break' for a while. That is what morz8 meant when she said they do not bloom continuously.

Azaleas are not heavy feeders and feed off the decomposing mulch underneath them. If you add fertilizers, you eventually run the risk of adding too much nitrogen to the soil and that would make them grow and produce few flowers.

You will notice that once the Spring Flush of the Encore Azaleas is over, they go through a period in which new shoots grow and flower buds are set for a second flush. This process takes several months. On average in Dallas, flowering resumes "in the summer" (around June), stops and a third flush occurs in the Fall.

The number of flushes that one gets and their approximate start time is a function of many factors such as your geographic location, your USDA Zone, local weather, etc.

In between those flushes, it is important to make sure that the Encore Azaleas have moist soil since lack of moisture is another reason azaleas do not create many flower buds.

Hope that helps you,
    Luis

• quinessentialrose
    17 years ago

Three years ago I planted a number of azaleas and for two years they all bloomed maginficently. This year, however, despite fertilizing and keeping the moisture level up, not all of the azleas bloomed. They are planted in the same bed (on the front side) and receive the same amount of sun. In the back yard, all of the white ones bloomed but I only had a few blooms on the hot pink ones. A friend told me it might be blossom blight. Wouldn't they all be affected if this were the case?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Did your azaleas have flower buds? Azaleas can get petal blight (fungal) where the flowers collapse before fully opening, but you would have known there were flowers there before they became spoiled.

These aren't heavy feeders, one of the reasons for failure to bloom is overfertilization. Other than the lack of blooms, do they look to be healthy and growing?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting