Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mid_mo5

Rhododendron Brown leaves

Mid_MO5
12 years ago

My Rhodo's are planted on the East side of the house and get morning sun, afternoon and evening shade. I bought them at Lowes and planted them two years ago in a mixture of garden soil and existing soil. Last year, I replaced two of the four plants and replaced the soil under all of them with a mixture of garden soil, peat moss, and existing soil and fertilized them with Scotts azalea/rhodo. One new one did not survive the summer. The leaves are brown and have been since planting them two years ago. I have very few green leaves. I have gotten flowers, but very few. One of the newer and one of the older plants has blooms coming. The other old one has buds, but no blooms. The buds may be dead? On the leaves, it looks like someone burned holes in them as if they dropped cigarette ash on them or something. We had a hot summer last year and a snowy winter this year. It is windy here quite often. So, what do you think? sunburn, windburn, acidity, bugs? I'm clueless and would like them to grow, but feel like I'm doing all the wrong things.

I have azaleas planted in the same area 2 years ago. I did the same soil replacement and fertilizer last year that I did to the rhodos and also had to cut them back last year due to rabbits feasting on them over the winter. This spring, they are doing great!

Any help with the rhodos would be much appreciated!

https://picasaweb.google.com/107470977902327148630/Rhododendron?authkey=Gv1sRgCPeS5cmx_8CSWw#

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio