Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
startanew_gw

Poor performing azaleas?!

startanew
14 years ago

In October 2007, I had a landscaper plant a garden bed with three Fuschia azaleas, along with other various plants. Come Spring of 2008 only one of the three shrubs bloomed. The other two plants looked like complete skeletons with brown buds and no new growth at all through the season other that some leaf growth. In this current 2nd spring season, there are no flower buds at all on the original blooming azalea and the other two "skeleton" shrubs look like skeletons once more with dead buds and new leaf growth. I tested the Ph level which is 6.0 and the plants receive morning shade and afternoon sun. I thoroughly water the roots of each plant ever third day, more if it is exceptionally dry. Any ideas on what to do? I really wanted the color and have yet to be satisfied with what I have.

Comments (5)

• razorback33
    14 years ago

Some possibilities___
    Planted too deeply...the original soil level around the rootball, when removed from the pot, should extend above the planting hole by a couple of inches, to allow for settling of the soil. Only the roots should be below the soil level.

Poor drainage of the planting area, allowing water to collect in the root area. Azaleas require moist, but well drained soil.

Roots were not separated when planted. Most Azalea roots are pot bound when purchased and have to be separated, when planted. If they weren't separated, your Azaleas probably aren't receiving enough moisture, even with frequent watering, moisture isn't penetrating the tightly bound root ball.

Overfertilization__ If fertilizer was added to the planting hole, may have been too much or was not thoroughly mixed into the soil and caused root "burn", which destroyed the tiny. hair like roots that collects moisture from the surrounding soil, to hydrate the plant.

You will probably have to dig them up and inspect the roots to determine if they are healthy.
    Rb

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

There aren't many evergreen azaleas that do well in zone 5. Deciduous azaleas are much hardier. If you go with evergreen azaleas, go with plants that are at least 3 years old. Young deciduous azaleas are more tender. The first 5 years they gain in hardiness each year they don't die.

• startanew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses! These are Girard azaleas which I believe to be deciduous. I am confused as to what I should really do here...should I uproot them, (and when...in the fall after leaf growth?), to check the roots (and yes, they were NOT planted above the soil level 1-2 inches as suggested), or should I leave them in hopes that in 3 more years (UGH!) that they will result in some blooms??? I am very discouraged with what they look like right now in this very visable garden bed. I am VERY appreciative of everyone's comments.

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

Most Girard azaleas are evergreen. The ones with Pom Pom in the name are deciduous and much hardier. They have spherical trusses of flowers rather than individual flowers.

I recommend you go to the following website and find "Proven Performers" that do well in your area:

http://www.rhododendron.org/performers_intro.htm

Then remove plants that you don't like and replace them making sure you have a slightly raised bed with good drainage and a good mulch layer. Do not water unless it is needed. New foliage will be slightly wilted in the morning if they need watering.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• startanew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhodyman,
    I could have been blown over by a feather when I read that most Girard azaleas are evergreen...all the leaves on my 3 azaleas have fallen off completely! I feel like the plants work so hard to put on new leaves each season that who has time for blooms?! I thank you for the links above and will hope for the best on my next choice of azaleas. With much gratitude...

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler