Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rabbit ate my azaleas!

Posted by steph_oshawa z5b/6a ON (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 14:47

I planted four azaleas (not sure what variety - maybe Northern Lights?) last fall that I picked up at a nursery for $5 each. I was really excited to see what would happen with them this spring/summer.

Unfortunately, a rabbit came and ate them all almost to the ground! I was so disappointed and hadn't even thought that this could happen.

Fortunately, I noticed that all four are sprouting leaves. However, there are only a few leaves on each azalea.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did your azaleas eventually recover?

Thanks,
Steph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rabbit ate my azaleas!

Steph,

A few weeks ago I planted five Exburys: three 'Berryrose' and two 'Satan', and each morning I noticed some branches had been pruned. The cut ends were at about 45 degrees, almost like they were intentionally knifed by someone! After some on-line research, I found an IPM article that said rabbits prune plants in exactly that fashion.

So I went back to the Depot and replaced the worst 'Berryroses' with more $5 versions, and built a chicken-wire fence around this bed. So far, no more damage has occurred, and the damaged plants I left in the ground are sprouting some new leaf buds, but they have a long way to go before they look respectable.

By the way, a 'Klondyke' I planted last year is looking pretty healthy with lots of new leaves sprouting, but the flower buds are only now starting to swell at all. Have any other Great Lakes area folks found their deciduous azaleas to be extra-late this year?

A.J.

o
RE: Rabbit ate my azaleas!

Thanks for your response A.J. So, it seems that this is quite a problem for those growing azaleas.

I noticed that the rabbit ate them all winter but come spring he didn't touch them. I guess this may be a combination of having more to eat come spring and having almost nothing left to eat of the azaleas!

I forgot to ask whether it would be a good idea to prune the really short brances that are dead now or to wait and just leave them as is. I am worried about setting them back any further since they have barely recovered.

A.J. - that's great that the wire fence you built is doing the trick. I will for sure protect mine this winter too.

Steph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here