Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joseph Hill Azalea looking brown

Posted by sheikyerbouti 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 14:51

Does anyone have the JH azaleas? I planted them last year and they looked fine, even through the winter. Then around Februrary, the leaves started turning brown, which I figured was normal, but they still look that way and don't show any signs of greening up.

Does this sound like a case of just give it time to correct?

Thanks,
Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joseph Hill Azalea looking brown

I have a 'Michael Hill' from the same Polly Hill series of groundcover azaleas and unfortunately this is the nature of the beast due to Rhododendron nakaharai parentage.
I'm in z6 and all three plants that I have losing foliage on all but most lower branches at the end of the winter, though they were fully evergreen till February-March. They will not grow new foliage till the end of the May and will bloom very late, for me in July.
Plants look like they are completely dead, but in fact if you snap the branch you'll see the green tissue.
They are planted along driveway and are highly visibly, so I have to move them somewhere where 'dead' azaleas wouldn't bother me everyday from March till June.

o
RE: Joseph Hill Azalea looking brown

I have a MH and I thought it was my siting it where I did (nearly full sun) and later putting in a short slate step thru (the bed) with radiant heat from the bluestone 'cooking it'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here