Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heavy pruning of azaleas

Posted by bmarshall (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 15:20

I have several large old azaleas in the front of my house (North side) that I just heavily pruned b/c of lots of holes and spindly growth. I clipped out most of the twiggy and dead branches from the middle and also sheared a few inches for height. They look pretty silly right now, with little or no leaves on the sides and just a thin layer of green on top. But I'm hoping now that they have better air circulation and sunlight can reach the base, they'll start to fill themselves in. Will this work to rejuvenate them, or have I just set them up for more leggy growth habit? I'm tempted to cut them all the way back to a foot, but they are my only evergreens in the front of my house.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heavy pruning of azaleas

If they have enough light, they will fill out as much as the variety you have can fill out.

Now would be a good time to apply a little Hollytone. I would use it at half the rate on the package just this one time this year and maybe once again next spring.

You did the right thing by opening up the center and allowing air flow. You can assist the filing in by cutting back new top growth so that the lower sections fill in faster.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o
RE: heavy pruning of azaleas

Next year, if you have not been satisfied with the response of your azaleas, you really should cut them back to a foot or less from the soil level. Azaleas, as long as they are in reasonable health in the first place, respond beautifully to rejuvenation pruning. Depending upon the kind of azaleas they are, they could grow three feet of lush new growth the very first season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here