Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with rescued orphans

Posted by paddle2thesea z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 15:33

I bought a couple of azaleas at Home Depot at the end of the season last year. They're basically just a couple of sticks with flowers on top. How and when should I prune to encourage wider growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with rescued orphans

I would leave them be. In a normal growing season, you're going to get a couple of growth spurts so foliage will be increasing.

Patience is the key. In 2-3 years, that azalea is going to fill out just nicely. One can't rush these things in my opinion.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 25, 06 at 0:26

Some rhododendrons/azaleas are naturally leggy and others branch into bushy forms...there's no need to let nature takes its course with a sparse shrub if you don't wish to.

Easiest with younger plants - simply pinch out the leaf buds as they begin to open for approximately the first three years after planting. There is a plant hormone in the leaf buds which inhibits development of dormant buds along the stem.

Or, you could take a harsher approach and cut those longer stems back about half way when the flowers begin to fade. If you didn't mind losing the color in your bed, you could do it now and use those stems indoors in a vase.

o

Morz8 is entirely correct. I am concerned that you are able to tell the difference between the leaf buds and the flower buds. If you wait long enough, the flower buds will be much bigger than the leaf buds. Then it is safe to remove the leaf buds.

I have a friend whose rhododendron and azalea garden has all plants about 3' tall, and it was a mature garden. His trick is not pruning, but just walking through the garden and with his fingers pinching or breaking off leaf buds that were on the top of the plant. It works great. You can stand anywhere in his garden and see all his plants and he has a very large flower garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here