Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee__dee

Help with pruning Rhododendron

dee__dee
16 years ago

I had just posted this question onto an old thread, but realize it might be better to start a new thread, so pardon the repetition.

I have a Rhododendron that is growing new leaves at the ends of each branch(which i realize is normal) but the lower parts of the branches have few to no leaves and it looks rather dismal.(i have been feeding it with Osmocote(sp?) every few months, so i would think it would be healthier) I would like to prune it back so that the lower branches will fill in with new growth, but am afraid it would mean cutting off the few leaves on it, and am not sure how to proceed. Also, this year it should be blooming about now and i notice there are no buds at all. Just the little clump of leaves without the bud in the middle. I'm thinking we may have pruned it last year at the wrong time and cut off all the potential flowers for this year. With that in mind, my question is, if i prune back most of the leaves now, will it fill in quickly with new growth that will produce the buds for next year?, or will i ruin the chance of flowering for next year as well? And, at what point on each branch should i cut? I read something that said 'above the rosette', but not sure what that means.

Thanks for any and all help

dee

Comments (3)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Osmocote is a slow release fertilizer so you don't need to apply any more. You probably have way too much. Once in the spring at half the rate on the package is all you need. I hope it is the Azalea, Camilia, Rhododendron version of Osmocote. Also, I hope you didn't follow their directions:

"1. Sprinkle evenly across areas to be fed"

This is OK. It is basically inside the dripline of the plant.

"2. Mix into top 1 to 3 inches of soil or mulch"

Don't do it. Rhododendrons have shallow roots and you can't cultivate the soil without harming the roots. That is why a mulch is important to keep down weeds, keep the roots cool, and conserve moisture.

"3. DonÂt forget to water regularly"

Don't. Only water when they need it. Too much water and poor drainage are the biggest killers of rhododendrons.

"4. Reapply every 4 months"

Don't. They don't need it even though Scotts, the makers of Osmocote, would love to see you do it. Once in the spring at half the rate is plenty. If the leaves turn yellow with green veins, that is a sign that there is a problem in the nutrient balance. This includes: lack of acidity in the soil, potassium deficiency, calcium deficiency, iron deficiency, magnesium deficiency, nitrogen toxicity (usually caused by nitrate fertilizers) or other conditions that damage the roots such as root rot, severe cutting of the roots, root weevils or root death caused by extreme amounts of fertilizer. In any case, a combination of acidification with sulfur and iron supplements such as chelated iron or iron sulfate will usually treat this problem.

As I mentioned in your other post, too much shade can be a problem. Pruning in the spring just after blooming is the best time and you can do severe pruning.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    16 years ago

Rhodyman has a guide to pruning on his website that gives specifics of where, when, and why to prune. One of the key points is that if you are going to prune severely (I have pruned salvaged plants from a dump pile to about 10 inches) the plant needs to be in enough sunlight if if is going to recover. There are buds under the bark that will sprout if the plant is in good health and gets enough sunlight. Read the guide and repost if you still have specific questions. You can prune later than he recommends if you don't mind forgoing blooms for a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhodyman's Rhododendron and Azalea pages

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Nice Site Rhodyman! I bookmarked it. I have all kinds of new Rhodies & Azaelas to baby this summer. I am brand new to Rhodies. Your guide will sure come in handy. Thanks nhbabs for the recommendation!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living