Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Rhodie leaves becoming 'olive-green'

chelone
17 years ago

I did a search of this forum looking for information on leaf color. Found a lot of interesting reading, too, and posted on a older thread, but it seems to be sinking to the bottom of the page. I'll try again.

2 Rhodies (Pink, 8-9 yrs. old, and Nova Zembla, 6 yrs.) Both in partial shade, woodland/peaty soil, receive adequate water ( I think!) and aren't planted too deeply. Both underplanted with groundcovers (Epimedium, Sweet Woodruff, Vinca minor. I don't cultivate the area under them. Compaion perennials inclued Astilbes, Aruncus, and a lovely stand of native Osmunda claytoniana ferns. Hostas thrive, as do native spring ephemeral bulbs.

I'm confused about the color of the leaves, they don't have that luscious, deep green their cousins at nurseries, do. Is this a nitrogen thing? if it is and they need a shot when should I apply it?

Both plants are budded up and will flower for me (they flower every year reliably in mid/late June), they have put on nice growth and aside from the "olive" leaf color they appear quite healthy. I don't fertilize them, but there is a chance the helpmeet gave them a dose of Hollytone last year...

Can you give me some ideas or some other things to search on this forum?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus