Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhsis1

Rhodies not blooming

lhsis1
16 years ago

I have several rhododendrons in my yard, and most of them bloom nicely with little to no "interference" on my part. ;) I have two planted on either side of the front walk, growing right by the house (they were there when we moved in, and the previous owners planted them, so no idea how old they are). One blooms every year, and the other one, which is a bit taller, and a different type, hasn't bloomed in several years. I have a pic of it blooming in 2001, but can't remember if it has since!

Every spring, when I think it will bloom, it sends up new shoots instead, while its companion blooms nicely. I'm not fertilizing, and it gets watered minimally other than rainfall, which is gets plenty of in western Washington, except in the dry summer. It usually gets some Douglas fir needles blown on the soil around it from all of our trees, and some maple leaves, but I don't usually mulch it other than what it gets "naturally."

Another rhodie usually only has one bloom on top, and it does the same thing - sends up new shoots when I expect it to bloom. Should I prune the new growth? Leave it? Mulch?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting