Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does stewartsonian azalea bloom in north MA?

Posted by vickima z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 16:04

We bought the plant in early May last year when it was covered in blooms. I'm not a very experienced gardener but we took great care in planting it: a large hole with 1/3 soil, 1/3 peat, and 1/3 compost, being careful to set it slightly above the soil line.

So far this year only a very few little green leaves at the base. I don't think the plant is dead but the suspense is killing me. I was *so* looking forward to seeing it in bloom this year. Has something gone horribly wrong (it was a tough winter) or should I just be patient?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does stewartsonian azalea bloom in north MA?

Several things,

Stewartstonian is only hardy to -15F. I would prefer hardier plants for your area.

Stewartstonian blooms in mid-season which is mid to late May.

Evergreen azaleas take about 3 years to develop their full hardiness.

So be patient this year, and you may have to be patient another couple years.

o

Hmm, I suppose it can get below -15F here, but I thought these were known to survive here. Anyway, good to know about the bloom times. Last year warm weather made everything early, this year everything seems to be late so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Assuming the plant survives, should I apply some sort of winter protection for the next couple years? mulch? burlap?

o

Yes, winter wind and sun protection is always a good the first 2 or 3 winters with marginally hardy evergreen azaleas. Burlap with the top left open is good. Plants sold in your area can range from very tender plants suitable down near Sandwich to very hardy ones sold inland on the northern border. I usually try to buy plants that are about 10 degrees hardier than what we expect to experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here