Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! One rhododendron bloomed, the other didn't!

Posted by crixie jersey shore (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 16:39

Purchased together and planted two years ago. Last year beautiful blooms on both.

This year blooms on only one (bloomed a little over a week ago); the other: no blooms but putting out new leaves. The are planted under -- but not close to the root system of -- a peach tree. They are about eight feet from each other and stand a little over four feet tall. I have fed them both Holly-tone at the time(s) and the in the amount suggested.

Does anyone have a clue as to why one didn't blossom?

I also have two small azaleas in the front of the house left by the former owner; they have bloomed faithfully for three years, but this year they didn't bloom either! There is no sign of disease on any of them. In fact, the rhodo that didn't bloom appears to be the heartier of the two. What could be going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! One rhododendron bloomed, the other didn't!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 25, 06 at 21:17

Is there any difference in the amount of shade your shrubs are gettings? Could the peach be increasing in size to be producing more shade in summer?

Shade, drought in summer when buds would be set for the next Springs blooms, and overfertilization are common reasons for failure of established rhododendrons/azaleas to bloom. I haven't used Hollytone, but it appears to be 4-6-4 and while that isn't a lot of nitrogen, it may be more than your shrubs need. Were you fertilizing in response to symptoms you needed to correct?

o
RE: Help! One rhododendron bloomed, the other didn't!

HollyTone and most other fertilizer manufacturers recommend at least twice the amount of fertilizer you really should use. It helps sales but may reduce the amount of flowers you get. To set flower buds the plants need sun, adequate moisture, and not too much nitrogen during the summer before they bloom. That is when they set buds. For that reason you should not prune after Spring is over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here