Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem Azelea - Help Needed

Posted by DavePaton UK (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 17:08

Hi,

I'm new to gardening (this is my first ever project) and have recently bought and planted some azaleas in a new bed I created.

They were all planted from pots with small buds beginning to appear. This was about six weeks ago and the bloomed into beautiful flowers.

The flowers started to go brown about a week ago and they are getting worse and worse.

Is this something I should be worried about? Is there anything I can do about it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem Azelea - Help Needed

Plant 2

o

Plant 3

o

This is the positioning of the three plants.

o

Seems perfectly natural. Five weeks of bloom is actually very good. Once the flowers have been pollinated, they turn brown and eventually fall off.

Out of pure curiosity, why the high sides surrounding the new bed?

o

Yep, this is normal. That is the drawback of these plants that sometimes the dying blooms make you think something is wrong. But it is not. It is just messy looking. You can clean it up by removing the spent blooms if you want to clean up the plant. You can also cut away the bloom heads which will direct more energy into the roots instead of developing seed (which is usually infertile anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here