Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azaleas possible for a north facing bed?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:26

I've never grown azaleas and am wondering if they will grow well in a small bed, as a foundation plant, facing north? I'm in zone 7A in central Virginia and the west sun that they'll get is pretty hot in July and August. The sun doesn't reach that space until 1:00 pm in the summer and later in the spring and fall. Some things going for the planting spot is the bed has concrete all around it (a sidewalk and patio) and the soil stays fairly moist and seldom dry. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azaleas possible for a north facing bed?

Full sun in the hottest part of the day and surrounded by heat and sun reflecting concrete could be problematic. Also, concrete can leach calcium into the soil, raising the pH, which might not be so great for the azaleas.

See what some others have to say.

o
RE: Azaleas possible for a north facing bed?

You might look at deciduous azaleas for that spot. It doesn't sound like it would be good for an evergreen variety and I also agree with what Rhizo said. Any reason you're choosing an azalea for that spot rather than something that could handle the sun better and also put out color? What about knock out roses, rose of sharon, weigela, viburnum, etc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here