Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Old Rhodie 'Tree' w/Major Hollowed Out Space in Trunk

steve1young
11 years ago

I have a very old Rhodie (beautiful fragrant flowers in striations of light pink/yellow) that is essentially a 10 foot tall Rhodie Tree. When we bought the house it was planted amongst a bunch of overgrown Euonymous. When we finally pulled out the "Euonymous Jungle" we were left with this beautiful Rhodie "Tree".

The blooms are beautiful and the new foliage looks pretty good now, but overall the foliage is usually just so-so. I just recently applied Hollytone (at 1/2 the recommended rate in the printed directions) and mulched with Cedar Bark.

While applying the mulch I noticed a major hollowed out space in the trunk. The opening is about 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall and starts right at the soil line. Let's just say that if I were a Keebler Elf, I'd be one happy camper. You know what I mean?

Anyhow, besides Hollytone and Cedar Bark mulch, is there anything else I should do to assist this old beautiful grand momma into her old age? I know she won't last forever, especially with that hollow area, but I'd like to make her as happy as possible in her remaining years.

Thanks much for any advice/suggestions.

:)