Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers sort of wilty on newly planted rhododendron

Posted by lovemyflower_garden z7 Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 18:10

I planted a rhododendron last week and it seems to be doing good, mostly. I see new light green leaves forming and overall it looks healthy. The problem is that many of the flowers, which aren't all open yet, seem sort of soft and wilty. They were firmer and more upright, right after planting. I'm inclined to think this is a need for more water thing, but I am really new to gardening and rhododendrons and just wanted to confirm my thoughts with some of you here who have much more experience with these.

This is my first one planted and I'm really exited at the new growth it's showing. I didn't expect new little leaves so soon. I bought two more this week, nova zembla, the bright red/pink blooms were just irresistable!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers sort of wilty on newly planted rhododendron

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 5, 06 at 20:30

Weather/planting site too hot or roots need more water.

o
RE: Flowers sort of wilty on newly planted rhododendron

I would never judge whether it needs water from the flowers. The leaves, especially the new leaves are the best judges of that. Making the roots wetter may cause a fungal disease that will kill the plant. Rhododendrons need moist well-drained acidic soil. Some rhododendrons have a naturally droopy truss while others have a very symmetrical upright truss. That characteristic is in their genes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here