Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save azalea from my mistake?

Posted by rhetrx z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:17

Oh, I am feeling mighty stupid right now.

The victim is a deciduous azalea, with crimson flowers, an orange blotch, and a lovely scent. I brought it to MD from PA 6 years ago. It didn't thrive, probably because I didn't get enough of the original root system, and in a year or two it was reduced to just a trunk and dead twigs. Last fall I saw some leaves I recognized near the base and thought perhaps things were turning around...

This spring, as in just now, I looked around the base of the plant and saw nothing. I looked and couldn't find any sign of life from the base and so reluctantly [it's been 4 years since it really showed any signs of life] I snapped the dead wood away....

And then saw the buds coming from higher up on the thick "dead" trunk. Leaf buds and even what might be a flower bud.

I could .... ARGH...!

I've plunked the whole trunk portion into a bucket of water, and rather than continue growling at myself, I'm appealing to all of you. What should I do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save azalea from my mistake?

The plant has a tag from an earlier owner of my last home: "Crimson '83", but I don't remember it looking like Crimson Tide. It had leaves and blossoms closer to R. calendulaceum.

This post was edited by rhetrx on Tue, May 7, 13 at 10:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here