Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY beetle spray for azaleas/rhodys

Posted by fireweed_1947 Western Wa 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 18:24

My low growing azalea is under attack by something. Many leaves are chewed and/or skeletonized and leaves are slightly yellowish with a bit of brown - but not the leaf ends. Garden books suggest beetle as the chewing culprit. I read of a DIY spray for beetles using 1T of isopropyl alcohol and pyrethrum (forgot the ratio). Has anyone heard of or used this? I've also seen a product with pyrethrum and canola oil base. Any recommendations please or would photo be best to get started? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY beetle spray for azaleas/rhodys

A good photo of the damage would be an extremely good place to start!

I would also suggest visiting the plant at random times of the day in an attempt to catch any critters in progress- dawn is a good time to start.
It is my opinion that treating for pests without a solid ID can be very futile as well as ultimately damaging to the plant in question.

I have had very good success forwarding photos (or taking a piece of the damaged area) to my local cooperative extension office. They are quite familiar with all the pests and other maladies prevalent in your area. You can find them in the white pages listed by county.
They are an overlooked resource IMO.

o

At last a picture of the leaf damage! I'm hoping there's a spray remedy or some such as I have trouble getting up after I've gotten down!

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 0:57

That's weevil damage, and they are night feeders. You need to go out at dusk and later, after dark, to hand pick if choosing that control...

Here is a link that might be useful: weevils - rhododendron

o

Thank you. Now I know what I'm dealing with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here