Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilty Rhododendron

Posted by SharkScott2 Maryland (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 18:24

I bought and planted a small Album Rhododendron in early April. I soaked it in a bucket of water for an hour and roughed up the root ball a bit before planting. It is under some Oak Trees in a location where their leaves weren't raked up for about a decade. It gets about 2 hours of direct sun in the late morning and dappled shade for the rest of the day. I'm mulching with oak leaves which I run through a chipper. I haven't used any fertilizer yet. I chose this particular plant because it had a lot of buds on it. It did not flower this spring but has put out tons and tons of growth.

For the past two-three weeks I've been noticing that the plant is looking wilted during the afternoon. I know that it is normal for a Rhodie to wilt during hot afternoons but that if they look wilted in the morning there's a problem. What concerns me is that this plant is starting to wilt on days where the high temp is only 74. What's going to happen when we get into late july and have a 5 day stretch where the highs are 95+ each day.

Should I water this plant more often? Right now I'm only watering if I looks wilty for 3 straight days. I worry that it may not have the root structure to support all the new growth, is there a way for me to encourage root growth?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilty Rhododendron

Everything from the location to your planting sounds just right. Soft new growth often tends to wilt until it has had a chance to mature. It is possible, however, that the root ball has dried out despite the fact that you soaked it before planting. Water with just a slight trickle fom the hose at the base of the plant. What you want to do is get water into the root ball without saturating the surrounding soil. Digging up the root ball to check it is also a good idea. Roughing up the root mass often needs to be more than just a little. You want to eliminate circling roots and expose root ends.

Album, btw, just means "white". It does not indicate a particular rhododendron variety. Catawbiense album is commonly available and is a hardy, adaptable choice. No fertilizer is necessary or desireable unless a need is indicated by a soil test in the first year of planting.

o
RE: Wilty Rhododendron

Since you planted it amongst those very competitive oak roots, I suggest that you should be watering that root ball every single day. Don't cover the very top of the roots with mulch and concentrate your watering just to that area. You won't need a lot of water.

It's been proven that woody plants acclimate and become fully established much faster if watered frequently. And when planted in a location where there is an established root system, the watering is all the more important.

Oaks and most other trees concentrate their primary root development in the top ten or so inches of soil. That's where the essential fibrous, water absorbing roots live. It's not surprising that your azalea is wilting.

Again, provide water just to the root ball, slowly and frequently to insure infiltration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here