Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cali_gardener

Would love some expert help on choosing between azalea varieties!

cali_gardener
17 years ago

I'm selecting plants to fill in some long planters on either side of our new patio. On the bottom terrace, there will be spreads of Spotted Ligularia (leopard plant)like this http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/foliage-plants/ligularia.html

and along the upper terrace, I'd like to plant azaleas. I was looking for a deep purple one, but can't find any available locally.

I'm trying to decide between Happy Days, Formosa (Phoenicia), and the George Taber (which I know is not purple, but more orchid-pink-white). I'm near Rainbow Azalea Growers, so I'll probably be going there for the plants.

I'd like something with nice foliage and striking flowers, and something that would work with the yellow-spotted ligularia that will be planted below it.

I'm in coastal Southern california, and the azaleas will be in part to full sun, and usually shade plants will even do well in the full sun here on the coast.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks! We don't see azaleas much out here like you might in the south (our soil is more alkaline), so any input is appreciated.

Deana

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!